Friday, July 16, 2010

Scrappy Headbands

Heather I am excited to share these headbands with you! I thought it would be a fun project for you to do with your girls this summer. All you need is your sewing machine, thread and scraps of fabric!
IMG_7580
There is no real right or wrong way to make these. They can be as wide as you want and as scrappy as you like. The largest piece of fabric will need to be about 32 inches long and two inches wide. Cut the fabric at 2 inches (or however wide you want it) and then rip the fabric the entire length to create the frayed look.
IMG_7529
Your next fabric will be about 10 inches long and 1 inch wide. Again I rip along at least one edge.
IMG_7530
Last you will need 3 squares of fabric about 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches. These squares are for the flowers and may vary in size depending on how large or small you want them.
IMG_7537
Sew along the edge of the largest piece all the way around.
IMG_7544
Then sew the smaller strip onto the larger one. Place it off center on the larger strip length wise and center it width wise.
IMG_7551
Now the flowers. Grap a square of fabric and fold it with two corners together, triangle ways.
IMG_7553
Then pull in the other two corners so that you are holding all four.
IMG_7557
Turn the fabric over and with your free hand twist and flatten slightly.
IMG_7559
Place flower onto the center of the headband.
IMG_7560
Place under sewing foot, lower foot and sew around the edge of the flower folding fabric in and under as needed as you sew. Every flower will be unique! If you see edges you can tuck them in and under.
IMG_7562
Once you have sewn around the edge, keep sewing and make a circular pattern to the center of the flower.
IMG_7567
Next flower! I do three flowers and place them going from the center and away from the 1 inch strip on the headband.
IMG_7569
IMG_7594
You can also strip piece the largest piece of fabric.
IMG_7577
Great way to use up our fabric scraps huh? Enjoy!

2 comments:

www.kearnspics.blogspot.com said...

Oh amber I love them! They are absolutely adorable! I am so grateful you did this for me. It really made my day and believe me I needed it today. You have the best taste ever and talent oozes out of you. But those things are just bonus to being your friend. I went to a real swimming pool today so it finally felt like summer to me and I had pf chang lettuce wraps and my anthropology fix. Good Friday.

Amber said...

How nice! Did u find anything fun at anthro?